Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Still Marked By November

I did not exit unscathed from November. On Monday, the last day of the month, I found out that Stevenson is OUT OF IBESR!!! This is truly amazing, a 5 month stay. Even M., the director of the O is amazed. The ONLY reason I can think that this happened is that I was granted dispense for the girls only 18 months ago, and perhaps they piggybacked it.

Of course there is one small glitch with the paperwork: the child emerged with my maiden name attached to him instead of my name, which is my married name. And I found out something interesting about Haitian culture. In Haiti, if you get a divorce, the women's name automatically reverts back to her family name. M. could not fathom why we don't do the same, and I told him it was because of the children. This did not happen with the girls, but, you know, personnel changes in these offices, so who knows why. She thought it would be an easy fix.

As always, this news is bittersweet. To my adoptive friends that have been waiting so long for dispense and approval, I am so sorry you are still stuck in this process, and I know the feeling well. If there is rhyme or reason to Haitian adoption, I can't figure it out.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

!!!!!! I hope they get that paperwork fixed quickly.....when is it looking like he will be home? I'm still saying to myself, "Wow!!".

veggiemom said...

There's not much rhyme or reason in adoption from any country. I hope you can celebrate this step without guilt because you deserve to. Congratulations!!!

Laurie said...

Wow that is good news, hope your process continues to go smoothly.
Congratulations on being "Out" & moving on to the next step.

Thomas said...

Wow, this is exciting news. What a huge step forward and an extra reason to feel grateful this holiday season.

Leslie said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!! I totally agree about Haitian adoption. Whenever someone tells me about how something went with theirs, I think, there are not 2 that go the same way!

daily scripture