Thursday, September 10, 2009

Raining, Pouring


I can only pray we are done with infirmities for awhile. Ava was just released from the hospital.
******************************
After two days on the flu meds it became obvious that her stomach problem was not related to the flu. She still had the same pain in the same place, becoming more and more debilitating. By that time it was Friday before the long week-end, and the pediatrician's office decided to take an extra day off. So, I knew there was no hope of seeing someone before Tuesday unless we had an emergency situation. She got thru the next four days but she was in quite a bit of pain. It was not constant, but it was consistent. I finally got her in for a Tuesday afternoon appointment. I was hoping against hope that he would give her prescription for an intestinal virus and that would be the end of it, but after testing her physical reactions, he feared the strong possibility of appendicitis and sent us to the hospital. She immediately started to cry at this news, but we got her calmed down. I realized that her concept of a hospital must be a pretty scary thing. She also freaked out later when she had to go for her CT scan, but inserting the IV and drawing all the blood did not phase her. Fortunately her CT showed negative for an inflamed appendix, but unfortunately, it showed she had a huge intestinal blockage. This was baffling to me as she'd had fairly regular bowel movements over the week-end. But they gave her something in hopes of moving it and we had to stay until something happened. Or until they made something happen. Fortunately for Ava, 24 hours later, she moved it and they released us. After the freakout about the CT scan and her growing irritation with the IV hook up I was not enjoying the thought of her enduring an enema. I will forever have the image of her in her much-too-baggy hospital gown that came down to her ankles, in her stocking feet, walking up and down the corridor with her IV with beads in her hair and halfway down her back, click-clacking away. The good thing is the IV solution took away the pain.

I had to make a quick and unconventional decision concerning Elle. I asked my X and his wife to take her, realizing that our hospital stay was going to be more than observation. They were gracious and accommodating. I figured she was already familiar with them, she loves playing with their girls, and Lucas would be there too. But I knew internally it was going to freak her out. I told her I would come and get her as soon as possible but she was going to have to spend the night there and she could sleep in Lucas' room if she wanted to. I made her promise not to cry, which she agreed to. Then I said a quick prayer, crossed my fingers, and let her go. I talked to her on the phone a couple of times, but I was anxious. She did great, and she did not cry the whole time. But as soon as we got in the car she started melting down. I figured that would happen. I asked her "why are you crying now that I am here? You did not cry the whole time you were gone!" to which she retorted "because you told me not too!"

The real answer to the question is "because she can". She held it together while she had to, but obviously it was not that easy.

Then began the battle for Mom's attention. Big one because she'd had it exclusively for over 24 hours, and Little one because she had not had it at all. I won't lie and say things got back to normal after we got home last night. This whole thing threw everyone off kilter, and the two weeks of constant health problems has exhausted me. It's early morning and I can only hope it somewhat normalizes today. I'm going to work. I should be able to make it a whole day. That should please my boss.
********************************
It was not all gloom and doom over the week-end. Ava had her moments that were pain-free, and at those times she returned to her happy self. They discovered this old swing (which is minus the actual swing) hidden away in my back yard.




Not to get overly philosophical, but I heard it said recently that it's the moments in life that make up our life. So I'm having to really learn to take the good with the bad. Not to let the bad color my day or even color my life. I've had a thousand bonding moments with these girls that I never have time to record here. Some unbelievable conversations. It's easy to get discouraged by the hard stuff but it's important to remember the value of perseverance and to cherish those 1000 moments. And look forward to the ones that will come.

9 comments:

Janet said...

I am glad to hear everything went ok. I will see you Saturday.

Thomas said...

So glad to hear Ava is doing well. You could use a laugh, so I will share a story similar to the one you just told.

Two days after Halloween last year, my husband and I left our then 10 and 11 year olds at home while we went grocery shopping. Later that night, right after Madison had gone to bed, she began WAILING in pain. The pain was in her lower left abdomen, but I was still concerned it was appendicitis. The pain was terrible and she cried all the way to the hospital with every bump the car made. LONG story short....while we were our grocery shopping, she consumed ALL of the Halloween candy and was massivly impacted. They put her on a morphine drip and sent her home with a laxative that took another 12 hours to 'clear'. Lesson learned for her was that 4 pounds of candy really isn't worth it!!!!

veggiemom said...

Poor Ava! I'm glad you were finally able to get a good diagnosis and treatment. Hope things settle back down at home soon.

Jennifer said...

What a rough couple weeks you all have had. I admire you in that you always seem to know the reasons behind the behaviors and then are better able to deal with it. I am still working on that. Glad that Ava is better and everyone is back home.

Lisa said...

That was big, scary and yet turned out fine! Let's just hope you don't have to do anything like that again soon!

Ava and Elle seem to be hanging in there and each day seems to be bringing you closer to one another! Tough and fragile all in one those precious girls!

Laurie said...

Poor Ava - I am sure you were all very concerned. I hope she is fully recovered & this is all behind her now.

It's nice your ex's family helped you out & Eva.

Two steps forward & one back but your doing great.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

So sorry Ava has been ill. Since I am late to comment on this post, I sure hope all is well in your household again.

Aves

Calico Sky said...

So glad Ava is better! Hope things continue to improve!

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

You have awared the Kreativ Award - check it out!!

Aves

daily scripture