Thursday, June 26, 2008

Baptist Mission


In trying to judge, I would say the whole drive took just over an hour going up. It's not that far, but the road is a series of twists and turns, almost switchbacks. Even thru towns and villages. Did I mention bumpy???? Lord! But it was really nice to see another part of Haiti. Cobblestone streets. Big beautiful houses. Next to cinder-block dwellings with the customary corrugated metal roof. We even saw a pampered dog riding in the back of a truck. We knew he was pampered because he was big (maybe a Rottie-Mix?) and shiny with a red collar. Aves and I were impressed!
We go to the look-out first.




The landing/take-off strip at the airport

So hazy down there. You can see it needs to rain! The girls are fascinated with the view. Then, back to the van----easier said than done, as we had to walk thru a wall of very aggressive vendors---and on to the Baptist Mission. Which appeared to be a group of very neat little shops grouped together, like a shopping center. The first building was a store that sold all things Haitian, and also had a restaurant, and most importantly a restroom attached to it! The crowd was an eclectic mix of Haitians, North Americans, Dominicans, Cubans, and French. The restaurant was North American in style, kind of a mix between a pizza shop, and an upscale "Subway". The whole menu was in English. We decided to eat here, and something told me this was the first time my girls had eaten in a restaurant. I had no clue what to order for them or what they would eat. I gave it my best shot. A hot ham and cheese sandwich, an order of french fries, an order of chicken fingers, 2 small "Sprites".

While we were waiting for our order, they brought a little tray of popcorn, and that was a big hit!




They wanted nothing to do with the hot ham and cheese, which was really well done on thick toasted bread. But the french fries with catsup and the chicken fingers were the bomb! Of course!

After lunch, I look at some things in the shop, and ponder. There is a large variety of embroidered linens there. I am a fool for all things like that. Table settings. Linens, glassware, kitchenware, etc. I decide I am going to think about it. Mrs. K and I had discussed Haitian linens earlier, and her idea was to get some for her girl, to give when she is older and ready to go out on her own. I know that is really planning ahead, but I don't know when I will have the opportunity to get these things again. Someone says there is a small children's zoo on the grounds, so we all take off to find that. We walk past the shops, a church, a hospital, some body's house, and we find the zoo. A young Haitian man comes out to help us. I'm thinking WHAT???? We're in Haiti and we're in the mountains, and we're going to the ZOO???? Ya just never know!








The scariest thing, however, was the crocodile. He was down in this concrete pit with a sturdy screen built up over him. Good thing!


The most popular animal, by far, was the monkey



He would bounce around his cage, screeching and making faces, and the girls would scream, well, like little girls. And they would bang on his cage in response to him. We sort of had to drag them away from the poor monkey, they would have stayed there harassing him all day if we let them!

There was also an iguana and a snake, but I did not get good pictures of those. So next, the Haitian man takes us to a garden overlooking the hillside and we take some pictures.


And then we decide to walk back up the hill to the car. But we pass a big playground slide on the way, and the nice Haitian man says "Don't they want to play?" Of course they did!





They play for quite a long time, running and climbing and sliding until they are panting with exhaustion, but they just keep going. We finally say it is time to head up the hill, because somehow we've become separated from Mama J and Veniel. We find them waiting for us in the van. We make one more potty trip and I buy two sets of linens for the girls. We haggle with some street vendors and pick up a few things there too. Then it really is time to go and head back to PaP. Going down the hill is easier than going up, and even tho it is bumpy, the kids pretty much all fall asleep. I am realizing that I'm having a hard time staying hydrated. L has confiscated my water bottle and put some pretty yucky things in it like some fruit, and chocolate, and there is no way I am ever going to want that thing back, even tho I am getting a slight headache from lack of water. By the time we get back, it's late afternoon, and we are all dry. I buy the girls and myself a soda, and it does hit the spot. By the way, Baptist Haiti Mission does offer sponsorship primarily towards a child's education if you are interested in doing something like that for $15.00/month. They are involved in a whole lot of stuff, and it's pretty impressive.

After supper we decide to try a movie on the dvd player, back at the Villa. At one point we had 8 kids and 4 moms in my room watching the movie, including Veniel's daughter who was having the time of her life! They did not remain interested in the movie for too long, but they were having fun together. FYI, I renamed the Villa at that point. PAC3 !

Last installment, coming soon....

No comments:

daily scripture