Monday, August 10, 2009

Unloading


They love to help me unload the car. They love to carry stuff on their heads. Cracks me up!

******************************************

It's been extra scorching hot for the last week or so. Everyone gets grumpy in August. Sick of the heat. It's why we call it the Dog Days of Summer. I've lived in some hot spots, and there is no doubt, the Deep South takes the cake. (Well, except for Haiti in the summer. That's the only place I've been that is worse. When people say it's 'hot as Hades', internally I think 'hot as Haiti'...) Seems like the heat has been here forever. Most people in the South despise the summer. As much as our neighbors to the North hate their long cold seemingly endless winters. Same concept, opposite end of the thermometer! As for the girls, well, they don't mind this heat at all. They really don't like too much air conditioning, like at the grocery or the movie theater. But they are the only ones I know that feel this way...lol
*****************************************

School has been going well so far. They really, really like it and are responding well to the 'hyper' structure. They are smart and have a TON of energy, so they are just eating it up. Today they rode the bus to school for the first time. They were so excited they couldn't sleep and got up way too early :) But they were so cute when they boarded that bus and waved excitedly at me "Bye Mommy!" as they drove off. Six weeks ago I was sure that I would never be able to put them on the bus to school. They were trading off on meltdowns almost every other day when I took them to daycare. Little Miss Lady had so much anxiety the day before school I was doubtful it would be a good experience. So I am happily surprised and relieved!
*******************************************
I could tell they were overwrought from the heat and their exhaustion when I picked them up this afternoon. I feed them dinner asap when we got home, and they whined and cried and acted irritated with each other the whole time. But they were sound asleep within the hour. and I'm getting a much needed respite. Because it is sticky scorching hot. And I'm grumpy.

Come on, September!

4 comments:

Steph, G's Mom said...

Love you Marta! Just...love you!

it's so great to hear how they are doing :)

Everyone's kids home from PAC seem to be doing so well, bumps of course, always bumps, but overall, just SO well! :)

Hmmmm somehow G missed out on the "help mommy unload the car" gene!

steph

Jennifer said...

Your day sounds very similar to mine....very hot and lots of crankiness from children and mom both.
I'm so happy they love school! Those smart girls will do beautifully! Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in the classroom?
Jenny

Lisa said...

I am doing a little dance right now, the YES, THEY LOVE SCHOOL DANCE!! So happy to hear it's going well so far, off to a good start that's worth a lot and usually the biggest hurdle!

I'm cracking up thinking about them carrying things on their heads! You can take the child out of Haiti, but not Haiti out of the child!

Janet said...

I am glad they are loving school! I will be so glad when it's not so hot here, the girls don't like it either lol they must not remember how hot it was in Haiti.

daily scripture