Sunday, December 9, 2007

Finished At Last!

Our PAC group of mamas decided we would decorate T-shirts for the kids at the orphanage for Christmas this year. I signed up for my girls, of course, and two others, one who is going to France, and the other is still waiting for a forever family.

I think I got way too invested in this project, but I had alot of fun doing it. The painting was very theraputic to me: I love to paint! Walls, pictures, and now apparently T-Shirts!

Now time to get them in the mail so they can get to Haiti.

********************************************

On the subject of Haiti....I am traveling there at the end of the month to visit my girls. When I first decided on this, months ago, my 14 year old son told me he wanted to go too. I was hesitant at first. It's not the safest place in the world, or the most comfortable or convenient. Also, there was the extra cost of his passport, plane ticket, and medicals.But he insisted he wanted to go, and I finially relented. I felt that despite the cost and risk involved, in the long run it would be good for him to see that not everyone in the world has the opportunities that we do. After awhile I got pretty used to the whole idea, and felt comfortable with the decision. I thought it would be good for him and the girls to have this bonding time. Friday afternoon on our way to the Dr. (for his meds) he screwed up his courage and told me he had changed his mind, he did not want to go after all. Needless to say, I was stunned. I did not see this coming. He is not real verbal, nor does he like confrontation, so I know it was hard for him to tell me. He said he'd changed his mind because he did not want to deal with the depressing aspects of it all---and anyone who has made this trip knows he knows what he's talking about----but I'd be lying if I said I was not really dissapointed. I went ahead and got his meds anyway, in case he changes his mind over the week-end, but he seems pretty relieved now that he is not going. I asked him if someone (his dad?) had talked him out of it, but he said he'd made the decision on his own. And I'm very glad he was honest, and told me. Its just hard for me to understand because he was SO enthusiastic until now. I actually feel somewhat angry about it but I'm trying to get past that because for me, anger is usually my secondary reaction to the real problem, which is hurt. But what can I do? I'm not about to force a trip to Haiti on anyone that does not want to be there, much less a 14 year old kid!

6 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

The first time I went to meet my twins in Haiti I took my then 15-year-old and 6-year-old daughter. When we went back they went and my two sons ages 17 and 12 and my husband. We ended up expediting a birth certificate and a passport for a total of $220 for one of them!! But it was well worth it.

I volunteered us all to wash clothes by hand and I haven't heard nearly as much complaining about unloading the dryer since then. And when one begs for something, another will remind him that the kids in Haiti don't have anything. It was also a good time for everyone to spend time with our twins even though I know they won't remember us.

A Blessed Life said...

First, your t-shirts turned out sooo cute! You are so artistic. Second, I am sorry about your son's decision. It would be a life altering experience for him if he was willing.

Marta said...

Thanks L,
I'm having a difficult time with his decision. I still have not cancelled his ticket. I'm praying something will change here.

Janet said...

Oh your shirts are awesome! And I really hope your son changes his mind, but I have learned the hard way everything happens for a reason. Hang in there you are in my prayers.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

The shirts are great!!!!

I am sorry for your son's change of mind,

Aves

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

daily scripture