Saturday, December 1, 2007

I Don't Call Myself "Small Town" For No Reason...



I admit it, I can be a big cornball sometimes. This is the conversation I had with my 14 year old son this morning:

Me: Get up please! Are you going to the Christmas parade with me? (first cornball clue)

Him: (after finally rousing himself) NO!

Me: Why not???????????????????????
Him: (shrugs his shoulders, no verbage...obviously way too uncool for him)

Me: OK, guess I'll just go by myself...(guilt trip not working at this point)

Him: Hey, be sure and get me lots of candy, OK? (this is a candy-throwing parade)

Me: Oh no, I'm not doing your dirty work. If you want free candy you can go with me.


LONG PAUSE

Him: If I go to the parade can we go to Best Buy afterwards?

Me: Deal! (I had to go to Best Buy anyway. And Old Navy!)

So....onto the Christmas Parade, where I actually got a little sunburned!


The Sheriff in traditional dress...um, except for those neon gloves!
We start with Sons and Daughters of the Revolution...

And move on to the bag pipers...

Featuring other long standing traditions....

And some newer ones!

But it's really all about the kids...

Young...

And a little older too....


Of course, I always have to include the dogs....

(That is not our current fire truck...but it was the first one)

GBD (Georgia black dog)

And the old cars...


Now I'm having a flashback to college...



Mine was just like this, only dark green. And it was old then!


Now, I have a strange confession to make. One of my favorite parts of the parade are, of all things, the tractors.....

I really don't have a clue as to why I like tractors so much, but I do, and we have alot of them around here.


Quite a few years ago, I learned how to drive one, like this gal...and it was hard! I will not be in the parade on a tractor anytime soon!

OK, my boy is tractored-out, and y'all probably are too...so it's time to go to Best Buy!

5 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Ok, somethings just are not right. Today we have a major snowstorm wth a 5 to 9 inches predicted and your town looks like this today!!!!

Just NOT right!!! LOL

Aves

This Mama said...

OOh I would have gone with you...looks like good fun! I love the old cars, love them. I need an old truck, and a dog, like the photo of your town's old fire truck. Well, I probably need something a little bigger BUT when the kids all move out the truck, the dog and nice mellow drives with my husband.

~Mandy :)

Calico Sky said...

looks mighty warm for a Christmas parade!!!

Kathy Cassel said...

Our Christmas parade was yesterday but it's an evening parade. Two of my kids played in band. My 17-yr-old would never consider missing getting the candy! I stayed home because it's a two hour parade and I had surgery this week but it was on cable so I got to watch it. It was 70F for the parade!!

We are also adopting from Haiti.

Jenn said...

Where is the snow? the freezing rain? the blizzard conditions? it is simply not fair!

daily scripture