Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What You Don't Want To See At Your House




Yesterday afternoon, as I was doing my best to sleep off the flu, I heard the dogs making a big ruckus. Peering out my bedroom window, I saw a guy outside of his parked truck, with his back to me, staring at these woods, which are directly across the street. I could not figure out what he was staring at, and finially losing interest, I crawled back into bed. Next thing I know, someone is knocking on the front door. I knew it was him, and I was groaning, not only because I felt like h@ll but also because I looked like it. And guess what? He was real cute. But guess what also? Those woods were on fire!!! My garden hose was too short to reach, but he'd already called 911.



So, the volunteer fire department arrived, and they got it out pretty quickly. Meanwhile, I dragged on some clothes and hauled my pasty face out to sit on the porch. Turns out it was obviously arson, kids playing. So now they will be doing an investigation. But I am real glad that cute guy stopped and made the phone call. The forest floor is covered with pine needles, and were somewhat damp due to a heavy rain we had several days ago. Also, there was no wind. But the flames were less than 100 feet from my house!
This is the burn spot. I took the picture this morning in the rain and it is very dark. The black is the burn.

I am deathly afraid of house fires. I qualify for being OCD when it comes to making sure all electronics are unplugged when I leave the house for the day. Sometimes I will get out of the driveway only to go around the block, and come back to check, and check again. It stems from family history. When my father was 14 they had a house fire, and his 18 month old brother died in that fire. He never talked about it much, but the last time he did, shortly before he passed away, he couldn't finish the story without choking up, and my dad was a John Wayne kind of guy.


On second thought, under the circumstances, I guess this is what you want to see at your house!




No comments:

daily scripture