Sunday, April 27, 2008

I Decided To Adopt Again

It's OK, you can call me crazy. You would not be the first! The great thing about this adoption was the paperwork was completed in less than an hour and cost about $100.00



Scroll down, please!

























This is Sydney. 18 months old, 22 lbs, a Heinz 57 mix, and a really sweetie!


Here is the story. When my sister was visiting last month, she and I went to the pet store to get some training treats for Tyler the Corgi. (If you are interested in dogs, you might want to know that Tyler has responded well to "clicker" training) The best pet store in town is located next to the fabric store, the one I'm not supposed to go to on Saturdays because of my over-affection for dogs.

Anyway, on that day, we saw Sydney there with a bunch of other "rescue" dogs. There were some mighty fine dogs there that day, but we both agreed that little Sydney, even as a mixed breed, was the best dog ---we left Sydney there, somewhat reluctantly.

Yesterday I went to the fabric store, and there was little Sydney, still. I could not believe after a month she was still available. I tried to get her attention but she was sad and distracted. I left and drove all the way home (20 minutes) with that dog on my mind. After about an hour I drove back to town to the pet store. The lady running the adoption asked me if I wanted to take her out of her pen and play with her. The first thing little Sydney did was give me a big sloppy kiss. The lady told me she had been rescued from the pound a few months ago and then I recalled seeing her on that website and thinking how cute she was. She is also sweet beyond belief. So, she came home with me.

The doggie adoption lady told me if it didn't work out with my other dogs, I could bring her back. So far, it's gone pretty well and it's been about 24 hours. She is spayed, up to date on shots, and potty-trained, Whoo Hoo!

Here is the Doggie breakdown at our house;

Dina: Golden Retriever, 11 years old, has cancer, arthritis, and sometimes incontinence. Has mostly good days, despite all this. Alpha female. Considered my older son's dog. Of course my son now lives in San Francisco and the dog still lives with me.

Molly: Golden-Chow mix. Best watch dog ever. Considered my younger son's dog. Course, he will be in college in 3 and 1/2 years. The dog is only 3 years old, and I'm sure will still be living with me.

Tyler: Welsh Pembroke Corgi, 2 years old, alpha dog of the pack. Wide open, all the time. Considered my dog. Only dog not "fixed" as I have planned on studding him out. He thinks the new dog is OK cause she is submissive and close to his size. I think his real motivation is he wants to *hump* her......

Sydney: Perhaps a boxer-jack russell mix??? Nobody knows. She has the boxer face, complete with the underbite. 18 months old. A real sweetie. Fitting in well. I know how to justify this...she can be my little girls' dog!!!!

I have been unsure if I did the right thing, as this adds to the load. But I feel in my heart that I did.

My fantasy is to sit all of them on the front stoop for a group shot!

9 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

OHHH you did the right thing alright!!!! LOL.. I am so glad that there are other crazies, oh I mean tender hearted souls out there like me. Of course she is the girl's dog, whose else would she be????

Aves(with a smile on my face)

veggiemom said...

What a cutie that Sydney is!
Kerri and Ruby

junglemama said...

This post made me smile! :)

Not Betty Crocker said...

She's precious!

This Mama said...

Oh man you made me chuckle out loud (after I scrolled down).
She is so cute :)

sunfunliving@yahoo.com said...

You posted a question on my blog, but you did not provide your email address for me to reply.

Please send it to me
achildsvoice@live.com

sunfunliving@yahoo.com said...

Maybe my comment did not go through?

You posted a comment on my blog: www.achildsvoiceinternational.blogspot.com

I cannot relpy to your question because you did not include your email. Please email me with it at achildsvoice@live.com

Thanks!

Janet said...

You have me for a minute!! She is so cute!

Nancy Sutterley said...

I just want to know who picks up all the poop???
You are an inspiration, I am glad there is no rescue shopping nearby my weekend shopping locations or I feel we would have more than 2 doggies!

daily scripture