Sunday, August 17, 2008

Odds and Ends

This past week, and the next few, will be devoted to work, school and football. Which for me mostly goes back to WORK. LG started school two weeks ago. University of Georgia starts tomorrow. We go from a few thousand people on campus all summer long to over 40,000 pretty much in the blink of an eye, and we are there to serve. For me, it's pretty much managed (hopefully) chaos. So I have been working hard to get to that point. These are the days of 60 hour + work weeks, long, physical days, little time off. Once we get the university students launched, we start the college football season, which is bigger than religion here, and that's saying alot in the Bible Belt. Alot of expectations with Georgia projected as the #1 team in the nation.

Will it keep my mind off adoption? No. My mind is always there, or in Haiti in general. Files continue to move at an uneven pace. Some very quickly, and after being STUCK in IBESR for so many months, and hunkering down for the long haul, I have to admit the speed (relative to interational adoption) at which things have progressed since then has caught me flat-footed. I'm glad, don't get me wrong! I can work with speed! I'm just trying to catch up in real life!

M is moving part of the O to another location, outside of PAP. In fact, several hours away. I can't help but be concerned about my girls moving again. I know it is best for the organization overall, but we seem to be close to the end of process, and I hate all this added disruption, in addition to the disruption they are sure to experience coming here. They have already experienced so much of that in such a short period of time. I wish they were staying with M in PAP till the process is over. I have to trust that she is doing her best, and I do. But I just hate it for the girls. Haitians are strong. They learn very early in life that they do what they have to do. At least that is what I see in my kids. They are survivors. But I have also seen their fears, the emotions they don't understand, and their survival skills. It is mostly just plain heartbreaking to see these things in a young child to be perfectly honest. And I want to protect them. These are my children. The best I can do is stay on top of my end of the deal (paperwork and money, two of my least favorite subjects) and pray. Pray for their protection, pray for M, and pray that govt. officials will get the job done.

Yes, it would be easier to be cynical about that last statement, but I am just not going to go there.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good for you for not going there, because it sure takes a lot of strength to stay positive :)

I must admit, I have always wanted to work at a University. I just love that college atmosphere. I hope the new year goes well for you.

I really do think the move to a country setting with more space and fresh air will be good for the kids. I completely understand your concerns about whether it is best for your girls to go or stay. Our boys are staying in PAP since we have passports, but I can't help but wonder what they are thinking since everyone has just up and left! They're all alone with a few others in that big ol' house, and I wonder if they feel alone, or abandoned, etc. It seems to be a catch-22 either way.

Here's to getting all of our kids home quickly!

daily scripture