Saturday, September 13, 2008

Handicap!

Not that I really believe in this but I think I cursed myself talking about so much work last week. I was doing it to give myself a pep talk and get thru another long week with no days off... I might feel a tad differently about that if I was not a salaried employee as I would be getting paid for my overtime but alas...

Things got worse, much worse, than I could have imagined. My assistant manager and my night-time supervisor both went into the hospital on the same day! (Tuesday) My day-time supervisor had a long planned vacation to NYC and Shea Stadium set up for the end of the week, which I had approved long ago. So not only did I end up working everyday, I pretty much ended up working ALL day. I have 9 retail units scattered all around our large campus. Two of them are restaurants. This time of year we are open 7 days a week, 7am to 10pm.

Under the best of circumstances it's complicated, but I have been blessed with a capable team that does most of the *heavy lifting*...most of the time I just go to meetings, make decisions, fret with endless amounts of paperwork that I hate and therefore delegate as much as possible, and ride around in the van checking out all the units and making sure everything is up to standard. I generally work about 40 hours a week, sometimes a little more, and during the slow months sometimes a little less. With my management staff pretty much wiped out, it's still up to me to make it all happen, regardless of handicap. I do have one assistant manager left, and a student manager. Somehow with the help of some really loyal employees, we have remained operational. We're tired!


This is the first time that anything like this has happened, where the bottom just fell out, and there was not a thing that could be done about it, except what we are doing. I hope it never happens again. I worry about being away from my son day and night, as I should.

I am concerned for my assistant who is still in the hospital. She is also my friend. She ended up having arterial blockage that required 2 stints. She is 47 years old.

I'm searching for the silver lining. I know it must be here somewhere :)

No comments:

daily scripture