Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Whacky World Of International Adoption

I got some surprising email news yesterday from Sarah. Although we are still in MOI, the girl's birthparent(s) have done the interview at the Embassy. It appears that all my requirements have been fulfilled for the I600 but I am not sure on this. I do need to know, as the deadline to extend my application is next Friday, and the only way to extend is to contact the USCIS in Haiti...


I was surprised because


a.) The parent(s) lives in Port Salut, which is at least 5 hours from PAP, and from what I understand there has been alot of hurricane damage to the roads. Under the best of circumstances, travel in Haiti is not that easy.


b.) I have friends much further along in the process that still do not have the birth parent interviews. It's frustrating and I feel bad for them, because it is holding up the end process.


I don't know if the girls parents are still together or not. I don't know if their father is still in the picture at all. I don't know how many other brothers and sisters they may have, if any. I do know they were and are loved. They have that foundation. I have long worried about them seeing their birth mother (Claudette) at this interview. I can't imagine the emotions, the confusion, the joy and the heartache and the leaving again. I do know that whatever the story, I am humbled by Claudette's strength and love.






This picture was part of a series that was taken by a French mom the first week the girls came to the *O*. It was buried in boatload of Snapfish albums and I did not see it until after I met the children and made the decision to adopt them. Her sad eyes shocked me profoundly when I first saw this. This was not a look I had seen on her during our first visit, or in other photos. Unfortunately I have to say I have seen it up close and in person since that time. It is the look of abandonment and the pain that accompanies. The first trip, when I left, she was just mad. The second trip, it was "I can't believe you are leaving me here" and crying. The 3rd time, it was this same stonefaced pain with tears, only more so. There cannot be a 4th time.


And so....I thank God, Marie, Claudette and whoever else was involved for making the interview happen. That is one big obstacle out of the way. These kids need to come home.

6 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

congratulations on this big step.

aves

Jenn said...

Glad you can cross one more thing off the list of "adoption to do's"

Sarah said...

Congratulations of finding out those dreaded birth parent interviews are done!!! What a huge step to have completed, and I pray that you sail through this end process and have your babies home SOON.

-Sarah

laura said...

Thats great news the interview is over and you don't have to do the DNA!! Quite a few of us are stuck with that and its expensive and takes a lot of time. Congratulations!!

Laura in Florida

Elder Cook said...

Yeah Marta!!!

I am very excited for your family and your girls. Can't wait to see them home
Crystal

Anonymous said...

That is GREAT!! You are getting close.

I am sorry for not visiting your blog more. It was really hard after we lost the girls to go gto any blogs about Haiti. I think of you a lot though and pray your girls come home soon.

daily scripture