Friday, September 19, 2008

Weird Fish

I talked to my oldest son on the phone yesterday for about 45 minutes. You may recall he lives in San Francisco now. He is on his 4th job there, he says he likes this one. It's somewhat similar to the last one he had here, where he worked for over 2 years, he is cooking at a trendy, largely vegetarian restaurant. Weird Fish is the name of it, so if you happen to be in the City you might want to stop by.

I miss him alot and wish he would come home and visit! He said he would come in December. A bunch of his friends moved out there at the same time, so he is not lonely. I think he does find it much more difficult than he thought it would be. I find it interesting that he identifies himself as a Georgian in San Francisco, when he was born less than 30 miles from where he is right now. Interesting in a good way.

I wrote yesterday that I wanted all my children to be all they could be. I was thinking of all of them when I said that, but perhaps more so this one. This child is VERY independent and he is also VERY bright. He is doing alot of exploring. He says he wants to travel more seriously next year. He wants to go to France. (I encouraged him to go to Haiti with me next time, but he ever so politely declined, lol) I wish he would have gone to University first, but he absolutely did not want to. He is very artistically talented, and I encouraged him to go to art school, but he vehemently resisted any further formal education. We thought about forcing it on him, but after talking to alot of other parents who have gone thru this, felt like it would backfire. Like it would be complete waste of opportunity, time, and money, and then he would never finish or go back or learn anything. I am hoping that at some point he will realize that further education will help him in life, and go for it. Experience is a great teacher. But right now he believes it is all just so bourgeois.

Sigh. Little kids can be tough on a mom. So can big kids.

No comments:

daily scripture