Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Miss Blogging!

What does blogging mean to you???

For me, it's a means of expressing myself, and sometimes a means of communicating, regardless of my mood. I still keep a private handwritten journal that holds material that rarely makes an appearance on these pages. Take me at my word: this is the stuff you DON'T want to see! It's not that I'm not being real here. I'm pretty transparent, and I think blogging (in my case) is one way to see the 'real me'. I don't however, see any need to spill my guts on the Internet! Or necessarily post my conversations with God. That stuff is mostly private. Almost ALL of my adoption stuff is on here though, and I find I don't write as much about it in my journal, as it is HERE.

That said, I rarely write about my work life at all, (boring) and guess what, that takes up so much of my time!!!






I am struggling a little with all that my job is demanding, (which is extra right now because of the new additions) and the pending arrival of my girls. I'm a little overwhelmed. It's not that I can't manage it, because I have managed extraordinary things in the past, and many people (mostly women, I notice) manage big things at the same time. I'm just saying, I'm a little overwhelmed and am having difficulty finding my blogging voice. And I miss that outlet. I miss it when I don't blog much.
I may do a whole series on "Overwhelm" at some point, but what I notice is that when I teeter on the edge of this condition, just one more thing going wrong threatens to send me over the edge. Can anybody relate to this? It can be a big thing or a little thing. Here was my thing this week; the heat went out in the house (Big thing, BTW). And contrary to popular belief, it gets cold here in the winter, especially at night. This week it's been in the 20's. I have also noticed that I'm getting better at not letting 'overwhelm' overwhelm me. If I just take it one problem at a time. So, I plugged in the space heaters and we bundled up for a few days until yesterday when I could wait for the repair man to come out and look at it. He got it going again (yay!wow, amazing how much you can take things for granted!) but said the furnace was on it's last leg and was not sure how long it was going to hold. I hope it holds for another month or so, 'cause coughing up for a new one is not something I want to do right this minute!


*****************************

As many of you may know, Carnival is going on in Haiti RIGHT NOW, and so everything has literally ground to a halt in terms of adoption. The Embassy may be open for most of this period, but I'm not sure how much they are able to accomplish with everything else closed. Our equivalent in the States is Mardi Gras, but that will be over next week. Fat Tuesday is Tuesday, and that is the last day of 'blowout' behavior, Ash Wednesday is Wednesday, and the first day of lent. (I notice as I write this that 'lent' rhymes with 'repent'. LOL I am not Catholic, I'm just an observer!) I think in Latin culture, including Haiti, Carnival is different in that it is more elaborate AND lasts longer. Tara Livesay says it goes this week-end AND next week-end. And she is there, so I take her at her word!

*************************

I love books and just received a large order from Amazon. (I've put them on my book shelf to the right) I usually read several books at the same time. Wierd, I know. Right now it's taking my mind off the fact that this is a period of no progress in Haiti, which is causing me some anxiety. I have to say "Adoption Parenting, Building A Toolbox" is the best adoption book I have read on the subject so far, so if you are adopting and you're not reading it yet, you are missing out on a huge resource. (Click on the book on the shelf and it links you to Amazon)

*************************

I got an emotional twinge this week when my high school sweetheart contacted me via Facebook. I have not seen or heard from the man in over 30 years. He was a wild one. In a good way. In someways we were (and still are) polar opposites, but in other ways, very much alike. As my sister said " Well, how about the important stuff??? Is he married? I always thought he was the best looking guy in school" Answer(s): no he is not, and yes he was. And he still looks great. And sounds exactly the same, LOL. Anyway, he's on one coast and I'm on the other :)

******************************

So, that's the week in review. Seemed to darn boring to write about it as it was going on. Or maybe I just could not find my voice, due to overwhelm. It is nice to have heat again, that's for sure!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for all the updates--I've missed you blogging, too! I can completely understand the feeling that just one more thing could send you right over the edge when we're overwhelmed--it's not a fun place to be.

I started blogging because I was unable to commit to writing regularly in a journal about our family. Plus it was a good way to be able to share our family with long distance family. Funny thing is, it's about 75% me, 25% family (I never realized I was so self-centered until I started blogging), and our long distance family Never read it. Ever. It's been a lifesaver with the adoption though, so well worth it.

Hang in there! All this too shall pass :)

daily scripture