Saturday, February 28, 2009

Restless

Yep. I'm restless. Don't know what to blog about as I have no adoption news at this time. Work is very busy and is keeping me awake at night thinking about it. Trying to be ready for the girl's homecoming and not knowing when it's going to be is driving me crazy. I want to be at home nesting, but we have work, BIG WORK going on and it's important for me to be there. So I'm nervous, frustrated, pacing...not in a peaceful place. It's a good thing I don't keep cigarettes in the house anymore.

Doing some mindless Internet cruising today I found this video which is fascinating and thought I would share it. I find the story of US Airways 1549 spellbinding. The main reason why is because I have a phobia about flying. I do it anyway because I know on some level that my phobia is not reasonable, and also because I like to go places. So I make myself do it. I have sat on tarmacs with tears literally pouring down my face out of pure fear as we readied for take-off. I have been on a flight with my sons where we inexplicitly dropped thousands of feet mid flight at 3500 above ground. My main memory from that was seeing the flight attendant stuck to the ceiling of the aircraft hovering above the drink cart and crashing down into it when the plane eventually stopped it's free-fall. (My boys still talk about that one and it was nearly 10 years ago) I was well into my phobia at that point so I can't blame that incident on anything. I am the happiest person alive as we go in for a landing (even though I know landings can be dangerous and I've been thru my share of scary ones) The only exception I can remember in recent history was my last flight out of Haiti where I was so distraught at leaving my girls that my grief overtook my fear. But I was still crying.

Anyway, this video is an animated version of the flight path of US Airways 1549 aided by the actual tower transmission. It is very well done. The very last frame brought tears to my eyes and settled me down today for just a minute. But then, as I've just said, when it comes to me and airplanes, I'm just a big ole crybaby.



***Update***go to YouTube and watch it on full screen...Whoa!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I NEED that pilot to take me to Ethiopia and you to Haiti! Unbelievable calm and clear mind. He's a local hero here in California!

daily scripture