Monday, March 2, 2009

Like A Lion

As in:

"In Like A Lion"




Here we are at Camp Osceola yesterday. It had been snowing for about an hour and a half at this point and I had just gotten home from church. There is water on the ground because before that it rained for 2 days and there was not enough time for the water to soak into the ground. I parked next to the house under trees, (and the power line to the house) and this proved to be a bad move.




This video is 17 seconds long. It snowed just like this for 8 hours.



The snowflakes were big, wet and falling fast. Lost the internet/cable first. The power was flickering on and off, and I felt it would not be long before it went out for good. At about 5:20 my prediction came true. I had just called and told LG he was going to have to stay at his dad's for one more night and he was not happy about that. But I thought they had a better chance of keeping their power as all their powerlines are underground. I was wrong about that too. Every single person in our county lost power. Also, the roads were becoming treacherous and everyone knows Southerners can't drive in the snow, LOL!

Then I heard limbs breaking and went out to find the ones over the power line to the house were busted and tangled up and several more were threatning. I did not know what else to do so I just went back in the house. Later that evening I went and backed the Jeep out from under the power lines and the breaking branches.

I was a little nervous about the power outage because I don't have any other way to heat my house, and it can get so cold in here. But it never got that bad because the temperature staying around 33 degrees. After it got dark I settled down on the sofa with my down comforter and my mp3 player and watched the candles burn. It did start to THUNDER at some point if you can believe that! And then, I have no idea what was going on with this, but I kept seeing blue light (intermittedly) racing thru the power line on the street, including the one that connects to me. It would light up the whole inside of the house. With blue light, just for a second. Then it would be gone. It was freaking me out. I finally fell asleep. I woke about 2 am because I was HOT. I realized the power was back on and I had seen no more freaky blue light. YAY!


So this morning like the photo nerd I am, was out at the crack of dawn taking pictures. Everything had frozen during the night. It was like I had the whole world to myself. Only a few cars crazy enough to get out there. The schools and lots of business canceled or reporting late. So I even have an extra day off!

Here is what we looked like this morning....

The album is below. Most of them were taken this morning.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

In Georgia?? Ok, I'm waiting for some snow here now!! BE careful with power lines; very, very careful.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

First, it is lovely, and now you have gotten a taste of what we northerners expereince for 3 - 4 months. Lastly I also have a green house, another thing we gasl have in common.

Aves

Steph, G's Mom said...

M, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your little green house. I don't know why i am so attracted to it, could it be the red door? i dunno, it just looks all tucked away down a road with so many trees, that is what i want. a house just tucked away. like a little discovery around a corner. I just adore it! it screams "cozy!"

Marta said...

Jennifer I lived in Sacto for 4 years and never saw snow. Steph, the house is definitely "cozy" LOL as in small. There is a whole movement called 'tiny house' living, I think I must be an honorary member!

Sarah said...

What lovely photos!

daily scripture