Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stuck

9 days ago I received two emails from Haiti that rocked my world, one in a good way, and the other one, not so much. 7 days ago I received this regarding my fingerprinting appointment from USCIS Atlanta

Dear Ms. XXXX:

The fax was received. We will get you scheduled first date available.

Sincerely,
Officer XXXX


*********************************

Not a peep from them since. No email, phone call, no snail mail, nothing, nada, zip. This is driving me crazy. Just how hard is it to schedule another fingerprinting appointment? Honestly, last time I was there they literally moved hundreds of us thru on a Saturday morning. I don't know how often they fingerprint---I get the feeling it's 5.5 days a week--- they have a big facility and you get shuffled from one station to the next, till you finally end up at the computers. I feel like I am lost in a nightmare. And just so they don't let me fall thru the cracks (because I'm paranoid about that kind of thing), I emailed them this today

Dear Officer XXXX:

Is there a letter or a form I need to fill out to reschedule this appointment? Do you have any idea of what kind of time frame I am looking at for rescheduling this appointment?

Thank you for your assistance,



Sincerely,

Ms. XXXX

******************************************
I fear getting lost in bureaucracy. I've been navigating USCIS either stateside or in Haiti (and now both places!) for 16 months and nothing about it has been easy or smooth. It's nearly impossible to talk to a real person. All the while there is this sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach telling me that this latest problem is going to add weeks/months to an already ridiculously long process.

It's not all about me. In fact, it's not about me at all. It's about two little girls stuck in a bureaucratic hell that's keeping them from coming home to their FAMILY.

It is difficult enough as it stands. But for my own mistake to add to the insanity is hard to take.

1 comment:

was said...

Hang in there, Marta. I feel your pain and frustration. I, too, am waiting for a response from USCIS to a seemingly simple question - several weeks, not a word. I'll keep you and the girls in my prayers that this bueaucratic nightmare ends soon with them joining you in your home in Athens. Kenbe pa lage! Wendy

daily scripture