Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Anti-Hypochondriac

I have some unsolicited advice for those of you that might be like me, the Anti-Hypochondriac. If you feel yourself getting sick before a major holiday, say, like Christmas or New Years, do yourself a big favor, break down and go to the doctor. If you are not that sick, at least you will know. If you are, you'll get the meds you need and get on the road to recovery, instead of trying to battle it yourself, fooling yourself into believing that your little home remedies are working, and that you REALLY are getting better. Even though you spend your vacation time getting approximately 3 chores a day done, don't want to have any fun, and spend an inordinate amount of time lying down, convincing yourself you are getting better. This is especially important if said holiday falls near a week-end, because at that point, good luck getting into a doctor's office.



I had to go back to work on Sunday. Usually this time of year we don't work on Sunday, but because we are operating in the middle of a big construction project and they had to do some work on our existing building, we had to go in and get the place back together for operations on Monday. It took all I had to be at work, although I was all jacked up on Thera-flu. I also went to the doctor on Monday and got some antibiotic etc. Too late. I completely relapsed yesterday and had no choice but to stay in bed all day. Again. But...I knew the meds were starting to work because the sore throat I'd had for over a week finally went away.



I am patient about alot of things, but I am not patient about being sick. I really, really hate it. Thus, the denial. Oddly, when it comes to my children, I am completely different, and have to fight the urge to be an alarmist and rush them to the doctor over every runny nose.



At any rate, I'm on the (real) road to recovery, and grateful for that. I'm also eye-balling my 'to-do' list, which has become longer, and frustrates me.

Sigh.

So...don't be like me. And next year I WILL get my flu shot!

4 comments:

This Mama said...

Hope your feeling better soon! Oh how I hate getting sick too...

I like your new blog look!

Sarah said...

I hope you feel better soon! I am just like you, and here I am on week 2 of a nasty chest cold that I should probably just give in and see the doctor on. Ugh. Hang in there!

laura said...

You must get better , those girls will be home soon!!! May I also suggest that you don't do what I did and take a friends antibiotics and try to convince myself that they are making me feel better. After weeks of dragging around the correct antibiotic made me better in days.

Jennifer said...

Are you all better yet?? Like Laura said, take care of your self, your babies will be home sooner then you think!

daily scripture