Friday, January 9, 2009

Flashback Friday***Yield for Bison


With Yellowstone National Park in the news again, I thought I would post this picture, which was taken in (late May of) 2004, by LG with a disposable camera. It snowed on and off all day, and we froze our tootsies off waiting for Old Faithful to erupt. The pictures of that were not good because it was snowing, so all you can see is a white-out! Look at NG's hair! LOL He wore it like a Rockstar for years.

My parents live near Boise, so the kids and I borrowed my Dad's truck and made the drive. It wasn't that far, and I am somewhat familiar with the area. Even though we lived in California growing up we made the trek several times to this National Park (and Grand Teton). Somewhere in my old photo albums I have a picture like this of me and my sisters at the Continental Divide.

On this trip;


  • I noted the damage from the huge forest fire, and also the regrowth

  • We stayed at the Super 8 in Jackson Hole, with no resevervations and it was pretty clean and pretty cheap. Also, it was Party City. FYI

  • I was amazed at the Bison population explosion. They are everywhere now! Moose too.

  • I saw a car with Georgia tags in the parking lot at the grocery in Jackson Hole (that's a long drive!)


  • We froze our butts off, I couldn't believe how much it snowed in May!


  • It was the last time I saw my Dad on this earth.

One thing my parents instilled in me was a love of travel and National and State Parks. My boys were not all that thrilled with this trip at the time (they don't like long car rides, they are spoiled by airlines) but now, just like me, they appreciate the experience. Honestly, the Grand Tetons are one of a kind, and there are not too many places in North America where you have to yield for bison!

3 comments:

Becky R said...

nice picture! I hate car trips with my boys, they fight so much!!! I wonder how my parents took 3 of us on road trips when we were younger.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

I summited the Grand Teton, and another time spent 2 weeks helping Kiki doing fieldwork in the Lamar Valley. It was sweet. I told him that once Tuks was out of diapers in the day, we'd spend more time out there. I suppose the time is upon us now to head west one of these summers. LOL

Aves

Not Betty Crocker said...

The Grand Tetons are one of a kind and I love Jackson Hole. I went to college in Idaho so am familiar with this area-lots of fun memories. Maybe someday J and I can take Little Miss and Monsieur up that way.

daily scripture