Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crazy Time


Who, you must wonder, goes for a kitchen re-do right before Christmas?
That would be me.
Above, is what my cabinets/sink looked like yesterday morning. Below, is what they look like this morning.

Tomorrow, we can hope that all of this looks a whole lot like a new countertop, sink and a new dishwasher. Because right now all the contents of these cupboards and the former (ugly) counter-top items are stacked in my living room, as well as a brand new dishwasher and kitchen sink. And I'm not taking a picture of that mess!

This work was supposed to be done months ago, but a family friend is doing it, and due to both of our work/personal schedules, we have not been able to coordinate. I have had a custom countertop sitting in the warehouse at Lowe's since September. We will be going to pick it up this morning. I hope. I have this crazy fear that when we get there it will be gone, or damaged, even tho they call me every two weeks and ask me when am I going to come get this thing?!? It's a monster, I had to order 20' when I only need 12'6" because this type of counter only comes in 12' continuous, so I had to add 8' to get the seam on the less obvious end. If that makes any sense to y'all. The good news is that I'm going to use the extra---eventually, not this week-end---to create a galley kitchen, because sadly, my little old-fashioned house only possess what I am showing in the picture for counter and cabinet space. The other good news is that I am finally getting a dishwasher installed. I have lived here for 10 years and have not had one. It's been hard. I hear people say all the time, "oh, but I would rather handwash my dishes" to which I reply (in my head) "are you fricking crazy???" Full time job, single parent, little kids....no, I need a dishwasher and I've needed one for a long time, and now I'm getting it, yay! Merry Christmas to me!

I am in high anxiety mode. Usually I roll with the punches, but right now it's all getting to me a little. My job is crazy-busy right now. I'm trying to finish my Visa paperwork for the girls and get it sent to Haiti. My house is 'tore up', and I can't get USCIS to confirm an extension for my I-600 paperwork, which expires Monday. (Since they are not responding to my email I will have to call on Monday and pray I get someone!!!) When I get like this, I start worrying pre-emptively about things like my counter-top. I worry there will be a big snag and my house will look like this thru the holiday. I worry about things I have no control over, namely because they have not happened yet. And likely, they won't!

I know I need to have a little faith, breathe deeply, lighten up, and laugh a little at it all. I hate this feeling of overwhelm. Although I know from experience that breaking it all down one step at a time, and having a steady, 'can-do' attitude, goes a long way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tell me Marta Lynn....What did you think about your workers brother...I guess you did not know you were getting double trouble! LOL
Soooo I hear the counter top is on, I am waiting on the pics!

Innocent as always!
Me

Marta said...

Yep, y'all took me by surprise, little miss innocent (not) you are supposed to keep me abreast of that kind of information! Although your hub said he'd have never gotten it done today without him. They are already planning my laundry room conversion, yay!

I left them alone (see, I am smart sometimes) and I actually got that paperwork finished and in to Fed Ex. And I heard you went on a housecleaning bender that kept you up until 3am. What is wrong with you, woman???

Pictures as soon as it get a little more finished and a little more cleaned up.

daily scripture