Monday, December 15, 2008

What's Next?

I learned an interesting fact over the week-end. The floors in my house (besides kitchen and bath) are 'heart pine', they are not oak, as I had assumed. This is a good thing, in that these floors are rare and desirable. This is a bad thing in that these floors are rare and desirable.

Back in the day, that was a pretty common floor covering around here, but now it is not. The reason the whole subject came up is because I was discussing with F and his brother the next project for this house, and part of the floor has to be patched. Finding the material is going to be a challenge. You can't buy it at Home Depot or Lumber Liquidators.

The next project is going to be a real challenge. I will write more about it as we get closer. So F asked me yesterday morning about when did I want to start, after the New Year? February or March? I agreed after the New Year, but I said January. He raised his eyebrows. I said "These kids are coming home. It could be January! It also could be February or March, but they are coming home soon!"

"Ah, February or March" he said.

He could be very right. Something crazy could happen (hope not) and it could be later than that. But M could also be correct, and she thought January. She says that barring any unforeseen obstacles, and those so often appear. But that is why I was in such a mess trying to get that paperwork to Haiti. Even though the Holiday looms, I'm hoping to get it submitted to the Embassy before they shut down for break.

We hope for the best. We prepare for the worst. We walk a tight-rope between living fully and protecting our hearts. This is the mantra of international adoption.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good job on getting all that paperwork done and submitted. It's a bear of a job.

Boy, did you get the adoption mantra right. I'm praying that you can get your beautiful girls home this January--what a wonderful way that would be to start off the New Year.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog......eerie the similarities, isn't it? Your girls are so adorable!! I hope they get home soon!!! I follow Leslie's blog (esperanzadealma.blogspot)too, and know the trials parents face adopting from Haiti. I hope to bring my girls home April/Mayish...I will keep up with your story....let me know if you and your kids make it back to Sac to visit your son....we'll have to get together with the kids!
Jenny

daily scripture