Monday, October 1, 2007

The Name Game



This will be old news to some, but not to others. A few weeks ago on our PAC adoption group we started discussing what and if we were going to rename our adoptive children when they finially come home. It was interesting because everyone had thought about this, but none of us had talked about it on the forum. It was like opening the floodgates, EVERYONE had something to say.


Haitian names are very beautiful, but many of them do not assimilate well into American culture. I decided to choose French names for my girls because something we have in common is French culture/history. I thought about this long and hard, and even bought a baby name book with 50,000 names in it! The best advice I read in the book was "aim to fall in love with a name".


My goal is to keep their current names as their middle names, and I was looking for French names that had the right sound and syntex when used with their given names. So, presenting, with no further ado....






Elle Marie Lovely





And her older sister........




Simone Widmina






Lovely's given Haitian name is Marie Lovely. I had always loved the name Elle, and just had to find a way to make it fit into the equation somehow. Thought I was being so original, but then Sarah from Utah piped up and said she had an Elle Marie! Great minds think alike, is all I can say.


Then Heidi spoke up and asked me if I had told the orphanage director what I was naming them. No....then I realized what she was getting at. The director's name is Marie-France Simon!


It certainly was not intentional, but there you have it. Only cool chicks have these names!!!!!


No comments:

daily scripture