Monday, April 27, 2009

Gotcha Day






April 26, 2009

There is so much I want to write about concerning this trip. As some of you already know, I like to write about Haiti. Part of that is because I never want to forget it. Part of it is because after 4 trips in less than 2 years, it still blows my mind. But I will save those ramblings for another post (or two...or more...whatever it takes)

Let me just say this. These girls were so ready! I'm sure they had no real idea of what to expect. But they were up at 5 o'clock on Sunday morning packing, and they had us packed by 6am. I had no idea where it all was, but it was all packed! The plane was not scheduled to leave till 12:15 so that left alot of time to kill. I don't think they understood that...I think they thought, we pack, we dress, we eat, we go. I killed as much time as possible and we still went to the airport 3 hours early.


Restless & Ready To Go
They passed the immigration requirements with flying colors. With older children, the officers will ask them questions, such as 'who is your Mama?' W. never missed a beat. "My maman is right here" pointing at me. (In Creole, but I caught it all)
This really touched and amazed me. First of all because it was validating, but secondly because her Hatian 'maman' endured a 5 hour car ride the day before to come to say her final good-bye. While there is no doubt they know who she is, and they love her very very much,, they also know I am their mama and we belong together now.
That is something that I will have to write about in another post, so stay tuned if you can stand it.
We waited quite awhile for our flight, but the girls were patient and good. Finally, it was time to board.

On The Verge

We were seated in the last row. If you know me, you know this is not my favorite seating arrangement. The tail gets alot of action, so to speak. It was a cloudy day, and turbulent going out. All the adults, including me, we're sitting, silently enduring the motion, hoping the pilot had it all under control, and that we were not about to die. The girls, on the other hand, laughed and giggled and tee-hee-ed the whole way out. They were so excited about riding on that plane!

Good-bye Ayiati

*****************************

To Be Continued....

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love the pics, love the girls' readiness for their new life and their new mama! Can't wait to hear more! What do they think of America?

Steph, G's Mom said...

I CAN HARDLY BELIVE I AM READING THIS POST!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND THE GIRLS!!!!!!!!!

cant wait to read more more more :)

steph

Jenn said...

Welcome home girls...its about time!

sarah said...

YAY! How exciting, I am so glad to hear you all are back safe. I sure hope Zachary will get on the plane so easily.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say Congratulations on this wonderful and momentous day. I am sure it is one that you and your daughters will remember and treasure forever more.

For me it is a moment of peace and reasurrance to know that YES it is true, our children do come home, the wait, anxiety and restlessness is worth it. Thankyou for sharing this moment with us strangers.

Congratulations and Bless you and your family.

Irene

A Blessed Life said...

Welcome Home!!!! Enjoy those girls and we will enjoy hearing the stories. Promise!

Isabelle said...

COngratulations on your homecoming girls! A big hugs from Isabelle, SHeilanda and Rosella xxx

veggiemom said...

Congratulations on having your family all together! The pictures are beautiful! I can't wait to hear more. :-)

Glady said...

love the pics and cant wait to see more. look at those cheeks :) they can say it again Good bye Ayiti :)

Elder Cook said...

Oh Marta I am so happy for you and the girls. It has been a long time coming and I am very grateful they are home with you. Have a great time and I pray the transition goes smoothly. Give them an extra hug from me.

kb said...

You are so blessed to have your girls home forever! Congratulations!!!

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

So glad to see them coming home and look forward to more of the story....

Aves

Sarah said...

Congratulations, my dear friend! I am crying happy tears of joy over your beautiful Gotcha Day!

Janet said...

Congratulations!!! You know I am so excited for you to have the girls home. Can't wait to come visit!!

Janet

This Mama said...

Whoo-hooo!!!!!
I love your posts on Haiti and have been waiting for these "final" ones :)

Salzwedel Family said...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip. Congratulations! I am so excited for your family.

Laurie said...

I'm so happy for all of you. Isn't it an amazing feeling to finally know you are taking your girls home.

Wishing a smooth transition for your whole family as you adjust to your new normal.

Can't wait to read more & see photos.

blessedfamily said...

Yaaay!!! I am sooo happy for you and the girls! Can't wait to read more!

Congrats!

daily scripture