Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Milestone




I should probably have alot to say. But I really don't.






Yep, it's here. Today is the day. I always thought once you made 50 years, you would know more, be a wise sage. But as I approached this birthday, here is what I know.





1.) Your appearance matters



2.) Your appearance is not the most important thing about you. Never was. Never will be





HA! But I bet you already knew that!



It's easier at 35 to say 'looks don't matter', but in your mid-forties, you begin to realize that's not true. They are a commodity and they don't last forever. And it's OK to admit that, even embrace it, because hopefully, at that point you will work to keep what you have. It would be easier to let go. But the women that have done that don't seem happy to me. I think it's because if you let yourself "go" you let everything go, mentally and physically. And that makes it so much harder to stay spiritually fit.



So...while I don't think it's healthy to be obsessed with it all, I don't think it's healthy to let it all go either. And at 50 you realize it is all about health. Believe me. Especially when you are facing motherhood again at this age! It's not an easy tight rope to walk. Our society promotes a shallow culture that devalues women, and especially 'old' women. I don't buy it. I walk my own way. I look at others that are doing the same. I might not agree with everything they do, but that's the direction I look to.





This gal was born in 1959, and she's been enormously successful!





Ditto for this one, and she has 8 kids! She has also conquered a weight problem, and I need to do that too.

OK, I realize that having the plastic surgeon option is an unfair advantage, but still.....



Currently the most controversial 50 year old woman on the planet. In many ways, she is not my hero. But in other ways, she is. As an adoptive mom, my heart breaks for her right now and I wish her the best. Because I do believe that despite the public persona, she is a dedicated mom.

I wasn't going to post about this today. But then I remembered, it's all about keeping it real. It's not about a magic number. It's about being grateful for another day and doing your best to live a life you can be proud of.

10 comments:

A Blessed Life said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Happy Birthday!!! You look great!!

Aves

Glady said...

A very Happy Birthday to you :) and Many many happy more to come.

veggiemom said...

Happy birthday! I agree - you look great. I hope you celebrate well.

Not Betty Crocker said...

Happy birthday! Hope your day was great.

Janet said...

Happy Birthday! You look great !!

Jennifer said...

You look FABULOUS at 50!!!!! Seriously! Happy, happy birthday!!!

Sarah said...

Happy, happy birthday! You are gorgeous, lady!

Marta said...

Thanks y'all, now I'm feeling kinda embarrassed, but thanks. I hope you know my point was not to fish for compliments, just to let you know at a certain age you will really appreciate what you have, REALLY. So don't be too hard on yourselves! But don't take it for granted either...as my mother always said "pretty is as pretty does" quite sure her mother said the same, her mother's mother, etc.!

Anonymous said...

OMG your going to kill me for forgetting your birthday!!

We will celebrate later :)

Happy Birthday


Innocent as always
Me

daily scripture